Some of the reasons why people may choose not to enter close relationships with others involve trust issues and fear of being vulnerable. With regards to trust issues, people may be wary in whom they choose to trust. Even when the heart chooses to love another being, there may be issues of trust. While love may come naturally, trust needs to be developed. People may want to trust others, and they may even know that others are trustworthy, but events that occurred within their past may leave them afraid of letting others into their lives. Some common situations from which trust issues stem include people or their friends being abused, controlled, raped, cheated on, and bullied. With regards to vulnerability, people may build and defend walls around their hearts, choosing to hide any feelings they may have for others due to being afraid of getting emotionally hurt or losing themselves to their emotions. While low self-esteem can definitely be a significant factor in building distance between people, even the most confident people may be hesitant to engage in close bonds with others because they fear the potential of getting hurt that could accompany tearing down walls. It is not uncommon for people to believe that the closer they allow themselves to get to others, the greater the potential that, if they get hurt, the hurt will be more severe. Consequently, people tend to protect their hearts because they don’t want to witness their hearts getting broken. While it is wise for people to be careful in whom they trust and build relationships with in today’s society, and though letting someone close can be challenging, breaking down the barriers around their hearts has the potential to yield the brightest light as it can assist them in partaking in effective relationships. Additionally, since living a life in which people do not let others be there for them may cause them to feel emotionally drained, meaningless, or helpless, it is crucial that people find it within their hearts to let at least a few people become their close friends. People deserve to live life with others who want to be there for them and will not only love them in their darkest days but also celebrate with them when they encounter the joys of life. Throughout a variety of creative works, including songs spanning many genres, artists both explain the challenges of overcoming hesitancy of being emotionally close to others and mention the benefits of allowing others into their hearts and lives.
You were made to live.
You were meant to give.
Give your love, and take a chance.
Maybe you’ll fall, but maybe you’ll dance.
Love yourself enough to try.
Maybe you’ll dive, but maybe you’ll fly.
Listen to your heart so you can be free.
Rise to the challenge, and live victoriously.
By not taking chances, you’re enclosing yourself in,
But you were born to learn and you were born to win.
Some things were never meant to be,
But others are waiting for you to take a chance.
Are you ready?
- 4Her – PUBLIC
- 8 Letters – Why Don’t We
- A Moment With Me – Harry Connick Jr.
- Accidentally in Love – Counting Crows
- Because of You – Kelly Clarkson
- Believe In Me – Bonnie Tyler
- Beneath Your Beautiful – Labrinth ft. Emeli Sandré
- Breakin’ Down – Skid Row
- Can I Trust You With My Heart? – Travis Tritt
- Close – Nick Jonas ft. Tove Lo
- Don’t Hold Back Your Love – Hall & Oates
- Don’t Shut Me Out – Keith Urban
- Don’t Wanna Fall in Love – Kyle
- Elastic Heart – Sia
- Faith – George Michael
- Feel Something – Adam Lambert
- For You – Liam Payne & Rita Ora
- Give Your Heart a Break – Demi Lovato
- Heart Attack – Demi Lovato
- Heart on My Sleeve – Olly Murs
- Hero – Enrique Iglesias
- Hold My Hand – Akon ft. Michael Jackson
- How to Love – Lil Wayne
- I Want to Know What Love Is – Foreigner
- If I Could Fly – One Direction
- If You Were Mine – Ocean Park Standoff ft. Lil Yachty
- In The Dark – Camila Cabello
- It’s Gonna Be Me – *NSYNC
- Jet Black Heart – 5 Seconds of Summer
- Let It Be Me – Steve Aoki & Backstreet Boys
- Let Me In – H.E.R.
- Let You Love Me – Rita Ora
- Listen to Your Heart – Roxette
- Love Alone – Mokita
- Love Lies – Khalid & Normani
- Love Me Anyway – Parachute
- Mama Always Told Me – G-Eazy ft. Madison Love
- More Than That – Backstreet Boys
- No Man is an Island – The Script
- No More Cloudy Days – Eagles
- November Rain – Guns N’ Roses
- Ocean – Martin Garrix ft. Khalid
- Only Yesterday – Carpenters
- Out of Time – Ships Have Sailed
- Patience – Take That
- Ready To Take A Chance Again – Barry Manilow
- Rewrite the Stars – Zac Efron & Zendaya
- Run & Hide – Nicki Minaj
- Scared of Happy – Fifth Harmony
- Shallow – Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper
- Since We’re Alone – Niall Horan
- Sober – P!nk
- Sound of a Broken Heart – Westlife
- Straight From the Heart – The Allman Brothers
- Superman Tonight – Bon Jovi
- Take a Chance on Me – ABBA
- Takeway – The Chainsmokers & ILLENIUM ft. Lennon Stella
- Take On Me – a-ha
- Take Your Time – Sam Hunt
- The Fighter – Keith Urban ft. Carrie Underwood
- The Only Exception – Paramore
- Through the Fire – Chaka Khan
- Thunder – Jessie J
- Too Good At Goodbye – Sam Smith
- Tougher than the Rest – Bruce Springsteen
- Two Sides to Love – The Temptations
- Unpack Your Heart – Phillip Phillips
- Voices in My Head – Ashley Tisdale
- Waiting for Yesterday – David Archuleta
- Waste It On Me – Steve Aoki & BTS
- What About Love – Heart
- Whatever It Takes – Lifehouse
- Where I Draw The Line – Clay Aiken
- Wings – Bonnie Tyler
- Would You Fight For My Love? – Jack White
- You Can’t Run from Love – Eddie Rabbitt