As the use of social media has increased within society, so have the roles that it has served. Many people have turned to social media for such functions as accessing information, communicating with others, and accomplishing their daily routines. Since social media can provide resources which help people to accomplish their tasks both effectively and efficiently, the dependency on social media has heightened over recent years. Along with the increased use of social media, people’s awareness of themselves in comparison with others has also increased. The search for identity, approval, and acceptance have become significant issues which have stemmed as the byproducts of social media usage. While some people view social media platforms as a way to reveal more about themselves, others may choose to create a facade for a variety of reasons, such as gaining favor or escaping from the world. Although people may differ in the way that they use social media to express themselves and relate to others, social media definitely plays a role in the way that people perceive themselves and the world around them. As you contemplate about the role of social media within your life, it may be beneficial to take into consideration your answers to the following questions.
1. Do you believe that it is important to be yourself on social media platforms?
2. To what extent do you value what others say about you, how much positive feedback you receive, or how much recognition you gain over social media platforms?
3. Do you believe that it is more difficult for you to retain your individuality in a social media age?
4. Do you believe that social media makes it easier for you to showcase your unique attributes?
5. Do you believe that it is better for you to conform to or transform the norms of society as presented through social media? Why?
6. What steps, if any, do you take in order to show others who you really are through social media?
7. Have you experienced a time as you used social media in which you were judged or ridiculed for expressing your unique attributes, and, if so, how did you react?
8. What advice would you give to somebody who is having difficulty expressing themselves genuinely through social media?
9. What steps do you believe can be taken in order to reduce or eliminate cyber-bullying?
10. In which ways have the arts, including music, helped you to express yourself over social media platforms?
11. Which one song title or lyric would you say best describes the way in which you relate to social media?
12. Have any specific artists, through their use of social media, helped inspire you to express yourself to others? If so, how?